Sunday, June 03, 2007
Happy to be Home
This is Tina writing this. Sometimes it's difficult to tell if it's Ray or me writing on the blog. (Hint: If the post is long and gives you a taste of what we have experienced during our vacation, it's my writing.)
"Home sweet home." Even though I love Europe more than most Americans, as I am from an immigrant family, I am happy to know that I will not have to repack my suitcase every other night. I don't have to do my laundry in my sink. I can walk along our flat and horizontal sidewalks without worrying that I will twist my ankle. I know where to look for street signs. And hey, I even get my email in English.
It will take me a few weeks to recover....but I am totally recharged after seeing beautiful statues and fountains and bridges and patisseries and painted murals and carved amoires. I wish that the Seattle area had more marble fountains with glorious animals squirting water onto mermaids, etc. So....if you have Bill Gate's number in your Rolodex, give Melinda a call and ask her to bring us a few statues from Europe.
While the natural scenery in Seattle is awe inspiring, wouldn't it be nice to have a small park where we could relax to the beauty of old Europe. (And, I must insist: the statue of Lenin in Fremont doesn't count.)
Anyway, now I'm getting ready to focus on Asia. My best friend in grammar school was Chinese, Cathy Chang, yet I know almost nothing about her parent's heritage. I want to know as much about Chinese symbolism as I do about European art.
"Home sweet home." Even though I love Europe more than most Americans, as I am from an immigrant family, I am happy to know that I will not have to repack my suitcase every other night. I don't have to do my laundry in my sink. I can walk along our flat and horizontal sidewalks without worrying that I will twist my ankle. I know where to look for street signs. And hey, I even get my email in English.
It will take me a few weeks to recover....but I am totally recharged after seeing beautiful statues and fountains and bridges and patisseries and painted murals and carved amoires. I wish that the Seattle area had more marble fountains with glorious animals squirting water onto mermaids, etc. So....if you have Bill Gate's number in your Rolodex, give Melinda a call and ask her to bring us a few statues from Europe.
While the natural scenery in Seattle is awe inspiring, wouldn't it be nice to have a small park where we could relax to the beauty of old Europe. (And, I must insist: the statue of Lenin in Fremont doesn't count.)
Anyway, now I'm getting ready to focus on Asia. My best friend in grammar school was Chinese, Cathy Chang, yet I know almost nothing about her parent's heritage. I want to know as much about Chinese symbolism as I do about European art.

