Sunday, October 19, 2008
(Tina's Post) Food for Thought

This is a copy of a post from my Trilogy-Website blog:
*******************
Food for Thought
• Actually, I want to title this: "Feet for Thought". I have a dilemma. I never know whether or not to wear shoes into a Trilogy home. More specifically, I don't know how to dress for a function held in a private domecile because I wear different clothing when I wear high-heeled shoes/boots than when I wear flat-heeled shoes/boots. Now, I have very dear friends who know me well enough to just tell me what to do (and where to go... ha ha) when I cross their threshold. Yet, with other people, I'm not sure how to handle this pro-shoe/anti-shoe crisis because I REALLY AND TRULY come from a peasant family who had dirt floors a few generations back.
• My options: 1. Ask the hostess ahead of time and dress accordingly. 2. Bring some high-heeled well-laundered slippers in my purse for a quick change. 3. Always wear color coordinated socks in case of ambush. 4. Come to the door barefooted.
• I've looked for the answer online and I get two trains of thought.
• From website #1: "Dear Dr. Dave and Dr. Dee, We recently visited our former neighbors in their new home, and they asked us to take off our shoes. I felt funny taking off my shoes. Should I have refused to take off my shoes? Is this a new trend? (Answer) Dear Shoes, You couldn't really refuse since it's the host's wishes. Shoes off in the home is becoming more of a trend in the United States. It's not new for most other parts of the world. It's not just a "Japanese" tradition as most people think. When you think about it, it makes sense to be shoeless in your home. Your shoes have been everywhere, and they don't need to be tracking in dirt, chemicals, or other substances into your home. You'll notice how much cleaner your wood floors and carpet stay, too. Why did you feel funny without shoes? Were your feet cold?"
• From website #2: "(As for)... the ones who install flooring or rugs that they don't want anyone to walk on. Miss Manners is not impressed when they try to out-etiquette her by citing the Japanese custom of removing the shoes before entering a house. Those who claim this are not apt to be Japanese, nor in Japan, nor aware that Japanese etiquette is directed toward making the guest feel that he has honored the house by entering it, rather than that he had better not mess anything up." Judith Martin
• I hate to be rude concerning Trilogy etiquette. Also, I would hate to think that everyone knows what to do and that I, as the perennial outsider, am too dim-witted to know the codewords. If you have any thoughts, any food for thoughts, or any food; feel free to give me your thoughts. Otherwise, just put up with me as best you can.
*******************
Food for Thought
• Actually, I want to title this: "Feet for Thought". I have a dilemma. I never know whether or not to wear shoes into a Trilogy home. More specifically, I don't know how to dress for a function held in a private domecile because I wear different clothing when I wear high-heeled shoes/boots than when I wear flat-heeled shoes/boots. Now, I have very dear friends who know me well enough to just tell me what to do (and where to go... ha ha) when I cross their threshold. Yet, with other people, I'm not sure how to handle this pro-shoe/anti-shoe crisis because I REALLY AND TRULY come from a peasant family who had dirt floors a few generations back.
• My options: 1. Ask the hostess ahead of time and dress accordingly. 2. Bring some high-heeled well-laundered slippers in my purse for a quick change. 3. Always wear color coordinated socks in case of ambush. 4. Come to the door barefooted.
• I've looked for the answer online and I get two trains of thought.
• From website #1: "Dear Dr. Dave and Dr. Dee, We recently visited our former neighbors in their new home, and they asked us to take off our shoes. I felt funny taking off my shoes. Should I have refused to take off my shoes? Is this a new trend? (Answer) Dear Shoes, You couldn't really refuse since it's the host's wishes. Shoes off in the home is becoming more of a trend in the United States. It's not new for most other parts of the world. It's not just a "Japanese" tradition as most people think. When you think about it, it makes sense to be shoeless in your home. Your shoes have been everywhere, and they don't need to be tracking in dirt, chemicals, or other substances into your home. You'll notice how much cleaner your wood floors and carpet stay, too. Why did you feel funny without shoes? Were your feet cold?"
• From website #2: "(As for)... the ones who install flooring or rugs that they don't want anyone to walk on. Miss Manners is not impressed when they try to out-etiquette her by citing the Japanese custom of removing the shoes before entering a house. Those who claim this are not apt to be Japanese, nor in Japan, nor aware that Japanese etiquette is directed toward making the guest feel that he has honored the house by entering it, rather than that he had better not mess anything up." Judith Martin
• I hate to be rude concerning Trilogy etiquette. Also, I would hate to think that everyone knows what to do and that I, as the perennial outsider, am too dim-witted to know the codewords. If you have any thoughts, any food for thoughts, or any food; feel free to give me your thoughts. Otherwise, just put up with me as best you can.

